Friday, November 12, 2010

It's Not Easy Making The Hard Decisions

I’ve never been able to understand how people could abandon their pets.  How do you drop your dog or cat or new litter of babies off on the side of the road and drive off?  I don't know how people live with themselves.  When I was growing up we found a litter of tiny kittens wondering around a car dealership way after hours. “We” convinced my dad (I wasn’t that old, maybe 8 so I’m not exactly sure who did the convincing but we ended up bringing these kittens home. And we kept one for it’s whole life (it “ran” away although now that I’m older I’m thinking she might have died and that’s just what our parents told us.) I’ve always brought home stray animals. I accidently ran over cat on my way to cheer practice once and brought her sweet kitten home (my parents weren’t quite as open to keeping that sweet baby but I still saved her from a motherless life on the streets.) And numerous dogs, I’m the first one to stop and check for a tag on a dog wondering around in a neighborhood, highway, or parking lot.

        So, I never understood how people could care so little for man’s best friend. But now I get it. Perhaps these people were just fed up. Perhaps these dogs were peeing in the house incessantly. Or pooping in the kitchen--- daily. Maybe the dog had destroyed doors, and kennels, scared every person that ever knocked on the door, and made himself bleed trying to claw his way into the house or out of a kennel. So, here it is: I’ve hit my limit with Tyson. Sure he has sweet eyes and loves cuddling but he poops in our home and is constantly breaking out of his kennel and destroying things.  I think the hardest part is knowing that it’s not really his fault. He is acting out. He just doesn’t fit into our lifestyle or townhome.  And he’s getting blamed.

       Of course, every time I bring up finding a home for Tyson, Hubs gets super upset. And I can’t blame him.  I can't imagine how I would feel if he were suggesting we get rid of Maggie. But the fact of the matter is this: Tyson just doesn’t fit. Now don’t get me wrong; I’m not talking about dropping him at a local shelter. I’m talking about finding a family that has the energy and initiative to give him the time and attention he needs....

       So, when I broach this conversation, Hubs convinces me I'm being rash, I feel bad, and let it go.  And then, the morning comes when Tyson hasn't been walked and I'm greeted with a big pile of steaming crap first thing in the morning and I feel like putting him outside (in our unfenced side yard) and going to work.  

        I guess my question is this: When do you stop being the nice guy and start making the hard decisions?

0 comments:

Quotes